Aku lagi maca tulisan ing 10 Alasan Industri Musik gagal, disaranake dening kanca industri Steve Gerardi. While I don't disagree with anything the article states, I do believe it can be summed up in a single reason.
musik industri blocks the path between fans and the talent in order to monetize it. If a band wishes to get discovered, the industry continues to try and own the production, the airplay, the distribution, and even the sponsors who can make a concert tour happen. If you're a talented and hard-working band, there's probably nothing more frustrating than trying to get discovered in the industry. No wonder why so many are abandoning the demo CD and simply moving to social media to generate demand and grow their fan-base. There's a better chance they can be successful without the industry.
Kemajuan teknologi mesthi ngatasi industri sing ngalangi dalan kasebut:
- Dalan, mobil, lan mesin sing bisa kobong dadi sarana lelungan sing luwih cepet, luwih gampang tinimbang sepur lan pelatih.
- Ongkos kirim wis diganti nganggo email.
- Parkir lan urusan karo pengecer sing sibuk wis diganti karo aplikasi commerce seluler lan pangiriman sewengi.
- Blogging, nganyari Twitter lan Youtube nyedhiyakake cara sing luwih cepet, gampang kanggo entuk warta lan update sing relevan tinimbang majalah lan koran.
- Voice over IP lan Telpon ponsel ngganti omah lan telpon bisnis.
- Piranti lunak minangka Layanan ngganti piranti lunak sing bisa diinstal. Sampeyan bisa mbukak server sing luwih kuat, lan luwih gampang ngatur lan disebarake.
Nalika entuk kesempatan kanggo industri musik adaptasi, dheweke luwih milih gelut. Kiamat iki dieja… nyerang para penggemar sing ngirit dolar pungkasan kanggo konser utawa CD sabanjure. Tinimbang golek metodologi sing luwih efisien kanggo nemokake lan nyebarke musik menyang penggemar, lan nyambungake penggemar menyang band favorit, industri nyoba mandheg pendarahan lan nambah bathi.
Kanthi kabeh conto ing ndhuwur, pimpinan sing dipilih ing industri kasebut ora nggatekake kesempatan kanggo ngrusak blok dalan. Nalika aku kerja ing industri koran, kita kabeh nonton nalika Ebay lan Craigslist narik klasifikasi. Daripada nandur modal wates bathi 40%, media mogul luwih milih pituwas lemak.
- Sepur ora dioperasikake maneh kanthi pribadi lan gumantung karo pitulung pemerintah sing bakal digunakake. Sanalika, pamrentah investasi ing dalan sing luwih jembar lan jembatan sing luwih gedhe… dadi luwih gampang terus nyetir mobil.
- USPS ngluncurake layanan online, ngisi biaya saben wulan lan biaya sing padha kanggo nyithak cap ing printer sampeyan dhewe. Ora luwih gampang… jenis bisu.
- Retailers now lobby for the taxation of online commerce to make things ‘fair'… even though they're the ones that cost us money for intersections, road development around shopping malls, and take advantage of local police and emergency service. Instead of making their goods more easily distributed online, they're fighting to protect their turf.
- Journalists continue to abandon the value they bring and are now just TMZ outlets with link-bait titles and smothered with tons of advertising. While consumers purchase more and more relevant content, newspapers continue to centralize operations and distribute mass-produced content that's less relevant.
- Hard-lined phones continue to bundle services, discount to acquire then raise prices, and haven't updated their networks nor technology. We're simply turning them off and using our mobile phones now for everything.
- Piranti lunak sing dipasang bisa diganti karo aplikasi sing luwih cilik, kurang kuat, seluler lan cloud. Maneh, tinimbang investasi maneh bathi, perusahaan lawas duwe tekanan penjualan luwih akeh. Nanging, kedadeyan sing ora bisa diendhani.
The acceleration of technology continues to help with this. Just within the music industry, I've been amazed at applications like Bandsintown, Swara Swara, Waca rangkeng lan Spotify. Combined with Twitter, Facebook and Youtube – I can discover, find, watch, follow and be alerted when the music I like is coming to town. And most of these applications don't cost a dime. The best part is that I can go see the band and spend my money on great tickets and merchandise… which often benefits the band much more than selling a CD!
If you want your business to not just survive, but flourish, you have to remove the road blocks between the customers you serve and the results they're trying to achieve. Whether you're a marketing technology that lacks the features, or you're a business that is watching the competition taking market share. It's not always about the expense… many people will pay more when they know they can do things faster and easier. If they can't do it with you, they'll do it with someone else.